A few Austinites have proven themselves funny enough to make it in the big time. If you consider the city’s digital road signs the big time, that is.
Earlier this year, the Austin Transportation Department crowdsourced ideas from the city and requested “clever driving and safety tips to display on electronic roadway signs all over town.” Participants were given a month to submit their witty messages (with “local flavor,” mind you) for consideration. The signs were asked to alert drivers to changes in traffic, severe weather conditions or general safety reminders.
The winners of the #ontheroadATX contest, which received more than 300 possible sign ideas, have since been whittled down to 15 winners. Are these entries as funny and informative as you demand of your digital road sign?
Other notable winners include:
- ROAD CONSTRUCTION AHEAD. PLEASE DRIVE WILLIE SLOW
- WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK… WORKERS AHEAD SLOW DOWN!
- DID YOU USE YOUR BLINKER? IT WOULD BE A LOT COOLER IF YOU DID
- DAZED AND CONFUSED? STOP STARING AT YOUR CELLPHONE
- THIS AIN’T YOUR FIRST RODEO. SO BUCKLE UP
Look for one of these messages on a digital road sign on your next commute! If that commute includes MoPac we all know you’ll have plenty of time to read it…